Non-immigrant International students, who are carrying hours, will be automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance coverage each semester to satisfy the University policy regarding maintaining acceptable health insurance coverage.
A waiver of the health insurance fee may be requested on line with proof of acceptable alternate insurance.
In order to be approved for a waiver of enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), your alternative health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by the waiver deadline date. Please be advised that the waiver request will be reviewed for compliance and verified active with the insurance carrier. Notification of acceptance or rejection of this request will be sent to your University email within seven business days.
A. International “F” Student Visa Holders must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
2. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000.
3. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
B. International “J” Student Visa Holders must meet the following minimum requirements:
1. Imposes a deductible that does not exceed $500 per accident or illness.
2. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness.
3. Medical evacuation coverage amount is no less than $50,000.
4. Repatriation coverage amount is no less than $25,000.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements, submit electronic copies of the following documents with your online waiver request:
a. A scanned copy of the front and back of your health insurance ID card indicating the student as a covered member.
b. A scanned copy of your complete policy, including coverage amounts, exclusions, and limitations in English using US dollars.
c. A scanned copy of your medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage).
Please see the ‘AHP Waiver System – Student Training’ link below for a video tutorial on how to use the Waiver System.